Updated: Feb 5, 2021
Pondicherry is a union territory and beach-side union territory situated in the boundaries of Tamil Nadu, famous for its fusion of Indian and French culture, this place is bound to give you a colorful and unforgettable travel experience. Until, 1950’s Pondicherry was under French influence comprising of a large French population with French-style architecture, shops, cafes, and churches. Also known as the French capital of India, Pondicherry is definitely going to give you a vacation experience abroad. Every spot at this place with adorned with elegance and fusion of different cultures, architecture, cuisines, beaches, and meditation hubs. The place is also quite famous for its colorful beaches and awesome nightlife with exotic vibes and magnificent history. Here is a list of places you surely do not want to miss out on during your trip to Pondicherry.
Colorful Pondicherry with French-style architecture.
Paradise Beach- 1) Visit this beach located at Chunnambar, which is going to amuse with its crystal blue waters and golden and white sands.
2) To enjoy the exotic and picturesque view, there are shacks built on the beach for a lounge-like experience and changing rooms for your convenience. Booze and swimming are not allowed at the beach, while the place has arrangements for fishing.
3) You can reach there through Cuddalore Road and it opens at 9 AM. Weekends are very crowded and packed at the beach.
Golden sand at Paradise Beach.
Sir Aurobindo Ashram- 1) This Ashram was founded by Sir Aurobindo in 1926 and is a popular tourist spot for visitors who seek to achieve peace and tranquility.
2) The Ashram is also famous for its giant library in various subjects like strength training, asanas, swimming, and sports. If you are a fan of spirituality and meditation, this place is perfect for attaining solitude.
3)The place is located at Marine Street and opens at 8 AM.
Peaceful Ashram of Sir Aurobindo.
Serenity Beach- 1)For a day full of sightseeing, Serenity Beach is a place full of aesthetics and refreshments.
2) Serenity Beach is a perfect place for your family or couple to picnic with soft sunlight and rejuvenating air. This beach is also surrounded by blue waters and golden sand.
3) It is located at Kottakuppam and is open throughout the day.
Eye-catching views of Serenity Beach.
Arikamedu- 1) Arikamedu is an important archaeological site, said to have been built in the 19th century with the Roman essence of history.
2) Glassware, beads, red and black ceramic statues, lamps, and stones present here will take you back to ancient roman history.
3) Arikamedu is a very underrated spot of historical and archaeological importance for our country.
Magnificent archaeological site of Arikamedu.
Promenade- 1)This place is a walking arena with rocky terrain and a shore of blue waters.
2) A heaven for photographers and long walks and eating haul, this place is popular for evening walks, sprawling cafes and restaurants around with a refreshing atmosphere of sea breeze and stalls for cotton candies.
3) Walk around the place and you are bound to have a great eating and gala time.
Beautiful walking arena of Promenade.
Auroville- 1)Auroville is a spiritual Ashram working with an aim of uniting humans of all walks of life irrespective of their status, caste, creed, or religion and to ignite the spirit of unity and harmony. Also known as the ‘City of Dawn’, the place serves as a meditation hub where one can achieve peace with his/her inner self.
2) The architecture of Auroville comprises a golden globe-like structure and many people all over the world come here for spirituality.
3) The place is located in the Viluppuram district.
Divine Ashram of Auroville.
Auroville Beach- 1)Auroville Beach is one of the most famous beaches of Pondicherry with a wonderful sea view and forest view.
2)Surfing is a common adventure sport here and a perfect escape from busy city life. People also come here for meditation and a tropical view.
3) The beach is open 24/7 for its visitors.
Crystal clear waters of Auroville Beach.
Chunnambar Boathouse- 1)Chunnambar Boathouse or ‘Plage Paradiso’, is boating plus picnic plus dining experience with sun lounge. Located at the merging point of backwaters of Chunnamber River and the Bay of Bengal, the place will provide you with an unforgettable boating experience comprising of sailboats, rowed boats, pedaled boats, jet skiing, and motorboats amidst the mangrove trees.
2) The boathouse also has many restaurants for continental food and beverages and beach sports to enjoy.
3) The boathouse is located before the national highway and you can reach there by ferry.
An unforgetful place of Chunnambar Boathouse.
Rock Beach- 1)Rock Beach is one of the most picturesque locations on the earth with worth witnessing landscapes and sunsets. Like other beaches of Pondicherry, Rock Beach also has sparkling blue waters, golden sands, and rocky shores.
2)You can expect crowds on weekends but the beach remains clean and fresh throughout the year also serving street food and delicious snacks.
3) The beach is situated in White Town and is open 24/7.
Mesmerizing view of Rock Beach.
Old Lighthouse- 1) Serving as a place for the great historical importance of 19th-century architecture, the Old Lighthouse is a magnificent milestone of engineering still navigating ships even after several years of construction.
2) Lighthouse is a perfect place for photography and learning history.
3) It is situated at Goubert Ave, White Town.
The magnificent Old Lighthouse of Pondicherry.
Immaculate Conception Cathedral- 1) This Cathedral is a perfect representation of Portuguese and Roman architecture like the ones situated in Goa.
2)Also known as ‘Samba Kovil’, Immaculate Cathedral is a very beautiful tourist attraction.
3) It is located at MG Road and opens at 7 AM.
Breathtaking architecture of the Cathedral.
Pondicherry Cuisines- This portion of the blog is for authentic Pondicherry dishes which you must try on your exploration tour, food of the place is a fusion of Tamil and French dishes. Indian dishes include Tandoori Potato, Soya Dosa, Assad, Coconut Curry, Podanlangkai, Curried Vegetables, Stuffed Vegetables, Palpayasam which is sweet milk, and a lot more. If you are a non-vegetarian you must try Kadigu Yerra which is made of prawns with tangy tomato sauce, mustard paste, veggies, and vinegar. French cuisines include Ratatouille, Coq Au Vin, Bouillabaisse, Salad Nicoise, Croissant, and many more. You can try these dishes in Baker’s street, New Banana Cafe, Mango Hill Restaurant, Kasha ki Asha, La Villa Cafe, and many more.
Try delicious French cuisine in Pondicherry.
Pondicherry is heaven for those who want to explore 19th and 20th-century architecture and culture with a wide range of beaches, cafes, and monuments to explore. The small union territory of Pondicherry is full of people with hospitality and warmness. Not only, the colorful landscapes, but amazing food and watersport experience are surely going to make your experience very wholesome and memorable. French and Portuguese might have left India, but that varied essence and blend of different cultures will surely give you a memorable travel experience.
A Worth exploration tour of Pondicherry is all you need.